Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Baptism Testimony - "The Greatest Gift Anyone Can Ever Have!"

I was born into a Buddhist family. I grew up following my parents to temples to pray and perform the different rituals that Buddhists usually do. Eg. burn paper money, drink the ash water, hold joss sticks. Before I knew Christ, I was a very wild person. I used to say words that hurt others’ feelings, especially those rough Hokkien words such as ‘Wa Lao, Wa Kao’, ‘Siam la’.

I was not sensitive to my friends’ emotions and said whatever I felt like saying. I was very immature and can even be impolite at times. I used to be very impatient too and often lose my temper over small things. I remembered one time when I shouted at my grandmother just because she had forgotten to do something for me. But above all these, I felt that my life was meaningless. Going to school was meaningless, doing homework was meaningless. I did not have a sense of purpose and even felt lousy about myself.

The time when I began to realize that I needed God was when I came to Secondary school. I was from Fairfield Methodist Secondary. We had daily devotion every morning before the start of lessons. A teacher would come up and share a word from the bible as well as pray for the whole school. We also had chapel once a week. It is like a service with worship and a short message. Though I’ve heard about Jesus from my grandmother when I young, but it was in Secondary school that I slowly began to understand who He really is.

I realized that Christians are happy people. They tend to do things more effectively than me. Also, I can see that they have a lot more motivation and purpose in the things that they do in their everyday lives. As time passes, I realized that deep down inside I wanted to believe in this God but I was not totally convicted yet.

My turning point came when my grandmother had a heart attack in 2004. I was in secondary 3 then.

The doctor said that she needed to go for an operation but there was only a 50-50 percent survival chance. It is possible that she’ll slip into a coma or even pass away during the operation. I was terrified. I realised that I needed a miracle to save my grandmother’s life. My grandmother was the one who brought me up and I was very close to her. Losing her would be too unbearable for me. So I made a deal with God. I told God that if He’s really real, He would save my grandmother’s life. In the end, my grandmother’s operation was successful. God came true to me. He saved my grandmother’s life and she’s living with me up till today. That was the time that made me confirmed that God is real. However, I didn’t knew how or what to do to accept Christ.

How I accepted Christ was when my physics teacher then, Joanna invited me for a Good Friday concert in April 2005. It was a harvest event organised by FCBC called ‘Starlight’. I agreed to go since it was a school holiday and I had nothing to do. After the performance, Ps Eugene gave a short sharing and that really touched my heart. Thus, during the alter call, I said the sinner’s prayer and gave my life to God. That was how my journey as a child of God began. Soon, I started coming to church and cell and continued to learn more and more about Jesus.

To me being a Christian is to have the Holy Spirit inside of me. It means having God everywhere I go and everything I do. Right now, I’m living a life that seeks to do the will of God. My life is meaningful and purposeful. I understand that God has a perfect plan for my life and all I have to do is to obey Him. I’m now more conscious of my own actions. I also have better control over my emotions. I begin to have more patience to the people around me especially towards my parents.

My aim now is to live a life that is righteous before God. Furthermore, I’m learning to practice this unconditional love to others just as God has showed His unconditional love to me. I’m starting to have more confidence in what I do. I’m a much happier person, knowing that I have a God who loves me and will see me through every single situation of my life. It is the greatest gift anyone can ever have.

Written by Michelle Ho Jia Yee, baptised on 26 Feb 2010


0 comments: