Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Baptism Testimony - "A Journey of Faith in Him"

I came from a non-Christian family. When I was born, I don’t stay with my parents. I stayed with my auntie and her family. I stayed with them for 12 years. I only went back to stay with my parents as I was progressing to secondary school. Before then, I only went back to my own home during the weekends. I know as a fact that my parents were busy working as I was growing up and they had no time to take care of me. That was why I don’t feel my parents’ love throughout the first 12 years of my life. I always listened to my aunt and did whatever she asked me to do. I was a staunch Buddhist when I was young; I was very passionate about my Buddhist faith.

During my primary school days, whenever I did not do my homework, my mum would be called to school to meet my teacher. Despite the many tuitions that I had, I did not do well in my studies and my grades were lousy. That had made me felt that I was very useless. Others could do so well but not me. I always envied people who were so smart.

When I was young, I hope that I can become a Christian because I want to get married in a church. I also don’t know why I have such thoughts.

When I was 17 yrs old and studying in Nitec, I became a Christian. My best friend brought me to her auntie’s church. Two ladies prayed for me and I felt something in my heart and I started crying. I felt His unconditional love. That day, I invited the Lord Jesus Christ to come into my heart to be my Saviour and Lord of my life.

After becoming a believer for about a year, I began to understand what it meant that God has His plan for me. For 2 years, I tried to apply for a place in the poly but my application was rejected. When I was rejected by the poly, I went into slight depression for a few months. Many people kept encouraging me and prayed for me. But I refused to listen to them. I just kept applying to the poly but in the end, all doors were closed to me. I believed that God has a reason for not allowing me to get into the poly at that time. So I decided to apply for Higher Nitec instead.

During my 2 years in Higher Nitec, I studied very hard and always prayed and sought God for wisdom in my studies. I always prayed and asked God to show me a physical rainbow as a sign of His faithfulness, something I don’t usually see often. God showed it to me in many different ways. I thanked God for blessing me with miraculous results in my studies. I scored straight As throughout my studies. Although teachers set high expectations on me and I also gave myself high standards to attain, I always tell myself that I can do it, that I must persevere, that I must have faith in myself and in God. Not only did I do well in my academic studies, I also participated in quite a few competitions for my school. In most of the competitions, I would emerge as champion and this would always surprise my project group. I always do things with faith in God no matter what the outcome would be.

I went to Taiwan for a competition last year and our group won a few awards. God really blessed me throughout my journey in ITE. At the end of my ITE journey, I was awarded a silver course medal. I was the top student of my cohort. I was accorded the Tay Eng Soon scholarship. I was also the outstanding student in my school.

Currently, I am studying in Nanyang Polytechnic. I went directly into the second year of my course.

I always trust GOD that He has a plan for me and knows my future. My journey with God is all about FAITH in HIM.

by Elizabeth Joy Lee Kia Suang from Ps Lee Lai Fun's Tribe
(Testimony dated 28th August 2009)


0 comments: