Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A teacher's labour behind the scene....

During Secondary 2, my Math grade was abysmal from the start, and was nearly streamed into a more inferior class, making learning challenging.

During the holidays, I received a call from the Math Head of Department (HOD), offering me to be streamed into a better class which has Additional Math. This was done on one condition, which I was to be able to pass the subject by Year 3 in order to keep it. My parents and I consented to this request. She became the Math teacher for my classes.

Although our class was known to be the “Math Class” (because it consisted of A Math, E Math and Principles of Accounting), our grades did not reflect that reputation well. Keeping that in mind, our Math teacher took great efforts to improve our grades. This included: sourcing for various school assessment papers, burning those in a disc for our own convenience, held intensive remedial classes during the June and December holidays.

At times I feel regretful that my own class (including myself) was unable to fully grasp her hard work and sometimes even portray it in ungrateful insinuation.

My ‘O’ Levels came and went. I fared pretty well in my grades and this was especially so for my Math; an A1 for E Math and A2 for A Math! Today, I stand as a graduate from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in Tourism and Resort Management; one of the more difficult courses to apply because of its huge popularity and aggregate requirements.

I shudder every time I remember my Secondary 2 holidays. If she never believed and gave that opportunity to me, I would not be standing as who I am today.

This story is to let known that a teacher’s perseverance and conviction to their students can impact their lives permanently. Teachers, do your best by showing the appropriate love and concern for your students, for even a student with delinquent tendency like me can be touched. As teachers, you are not only sculpting grades but lives as well! Have pride in what you do, for your students see that in you.

This dedication goes out to Ms Rahma, who is none other than the Math teacher mentioned above. Happy Teacher’s Day Ms Rahma! May the future generation of teachers emulate what you have done for your students!

Written by Wesker Tay, 20 years old


0 comments: