Monday, March 30, 2009

God is FOR Us!

My grandma passed away on the week of G12 conference. All my family and relatives are pre-believers except for one distant cousin, who has not been going to church for four years. They planned a Taoist funeral for my grandma, so I was quite concerned if I would be made to go through any of those rituals. I spoke to my dad on the first day, and asked to be excused for the rituals. He told me to participate and he walked away without negotiation.

A tent was built to house an altar full of deities and idols for the procession on the final night. I felt very uncomfortable and do not want to compromise what I believe in. I decided to speak to ask my dad again, praying that he will soften his heart. However, he got angrier with me. In turn, I was also very upset.

To avoid facing my dad and relatives who are gossiping about me, I went for G12 conference on Friday. I know I will be comforted after meeting my cell group and leader. I managed to speak to Pastor Danny and my cell group, pouring out what I had kept for the past 3 days – persecution, gossip, pressure to compromise, etc. They prayed for me and I felt better after that.

Though there was still fear in me to confront the situation when I returned home, I knelt and ask God to make a way for me. I was afraid that my father might chase me out of the funeral.
When I reached home, I asked my mother if I still must participant in the ritual. She said she will talk to my dad. Eventually, my dad agreed that I will not participate though he was still unhappy about it!

My relatives continued to gossip about me on this matter, this caused my mum to be heartbroken. Yet in my heart, I was fully secured in the Lord and was really feeling okay with what they said. They do not know what they are doing.
I believed this is not just a funeral that traditions and practices are enforced on unwilling daughter, but a lesson to teach me and make a stand.
I learnt to stand up for my God and not to compromise when situation seems to be so difficult. If God is for me, who can be against me?
Romans 8:31 – “…If God is for us, who can be against us?”
by Huishan, Ps Evelyn's Tribe


0 comments: