Thursday, March 12, 2009

Taking the I M out of the IMpossible

In every journey of life all have our milestones to climb, giants to kill, storms to face. Having so much to say, so much thanks to give. Here is my account how Christ has brought me through all. Bearing witness that this is My God...

With a tendency enjoying tough challenges, I took up the possibly the ultimate physical endeavor ever and thats the Ironman Triathlon last year. 3.8km Swim 180km Bike 42km Run. Its a race that test your limits, stretches your body and mind. With a reason, desire and my God, I beat my body, disciplined in not just training, but also to love, hope, trust more. My journey wasn't just a personal thing but one that was connected to the community and the people I love.

At the age of 18, I wanted to be among the youngest Ironman in the country. But on 23 Feb 2008, at Langkawi Ironman, I raced my hearts out and it almost came out literally. My kidney failed, as high potassium in my body. Leaving me to puke 12 times and came close to heart attack. I was asked to give up and I did. It hurt more to stop than to keep going. But as those words left my lips, Christ caught me in his arms and held my heart. It was so intense that I know He's closer than I think, He's with me, He's not some theological concept or a belief but its the real deal.

Coming back discouraged and broken, it was painful to even give thanks. But as I pour out my heart, I remembered that I am to give thanks in all circumstances and not for all circumstances. I grew grateful, strong and know the best is yet to be.

Being diagnosed with Bronchospasm, a breathing disorder, having exams one day before the race, fear, past defeats were just a few of the things against me. If impossible could get more difficult this was it. Sometimes in life we do not need a guarantee but just an assurance that He is with us. I once again embrace the truth and build myself up not just to be an Ironman by name but by spirit. Having that steel within. Being a man of resilience and strong character. To conquer fears and discouragement. I learnt that strong character is never given, but always forged. Heated and hammered in challenges of life. Growing in deep dependence of Him. I committed to race with open hands, surrendering all expectations, pressure to someone whose faith and strength is more than me. How can I not let go? When someone stronger holds my fists.

Slowly it became not just another race but something so much more.

Finally, the day came. I slept little, realizing I forgot my goggles didn't help at all. I had to be discipline to let go of the anxiety because the way will be made. Its an insane mistake, but thank God He provides, I managed to borrow a goggles from a Japanese. Having high degree on both eyes, I couldn't see. But it was good enough to get the salt out of my eyes.

Conquering each loop of the bike, each turn on the run. Singing, talking to God, people, lifting my eyes to the hills, meditating Psalm 121. The focus I got into engaging with Him, the stronger I was, more certain and confident I was. As I reach to the point where I given up before, more fear came. It was an constant effort to let it go, to hope, to trust that He is my help, He will sustain me, He will protect me from harm. Holding fast onto his word and Him. We ran it together. Indeed, we have a God we can depend and NEVER fails.

With no one in front or the back. The finish was staged for me. Raising my heart speech and hands to the heavens. Committing it all to Him and the people I love. Finishing at 14 hrs 9 mins. I rejoiced in His name, truly my God with the name of I M (Exodus 14:3) has taken the IM out of the word IMpossible in the IronMan Triathlon (IM is the short form for Ironman). He qualified me to face the IMpossible and made it possible.

Looking forward for my next milestone in life as I grow from strength to strength.

Last thanks to Ming, Syl for being there for me. Sam, Sebas Teo and Pastor Yong Howe for advice and prayers. Josh Kwah for being my good all trusting brother, cell leader, mentor. Not to forget family and friends of their prayers. We did it.

by Sky Kwah


0 comments: